August 05, 2003

I'm Poseidon, and I'll be your server today

I had to get up at 8am today, which, under normal circumstances, is a lot earlier than I would like to have been awake, really, but I had to register for classes for next year so it was either drag myself out of bed early or get stuck doing "Sociological Statistic Methods and Their Application to Things That Are, Let's Face It, Really Dull".

So, blinking away sleep and stumbling to my computer, I logged on to McGill's interactive services website, which is rather poetically nicknamed 'Minerva', and is hosted on a server that is nicknamed, also rather poetically, 'Poseidon'. Which might seem a bit pretentious (because, to be fair, it is), but inside every computer geek/system administrator beats a heart ripe with artistry and nuance, as witnessed by flowery (and, if I may say so, kinda gay) university server names the world over. My particular favourite is a server at Edinburgh univeristy called 'Erasmus', named after the grandfather of Charles Darwin-- which is esoteric in a way that only snobby academics can truly achieve (and also, I think you'll agree, sounds like the name of a bodily fluid).

Anyway, poor Poseidon was obviously feeling a little weighed down this morning (moany bastard-- it's not like he's Atlas or something), because he was running ve-ry slow-ly indeed. And as I sat, waiting for him to retrieve pages for me, I got to thinking about how many different people all over the world must also be sitting bleary-eyed in front of their computers, eager to register for classes before anyone else. And I spared a thought for those poor students on the West Coast, for whom it was only 5am (and who are, statistically speaking, probably the children of hippies, which is in general not something I would wish upon anybody). And I spared a thought for my fellow East Coast inhabitants (be strong, people). And I cursed those for whom timezones had granted extra sleep.

But, alas, my point seems to have disappeared altogether. Suffice to say that (as a particularly poetic system administrator might say), I have, like the brave Odysseus, survived the wrath of Poseidon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home