May 03, 2004

Boy, I'd Like to Transmit Her Neurons

The other day, I was reading the fascinating book Right Hand Left Hand by Chris McManus, and came across the following quote:

"D-serine seems to modulate one of the sexiest neurotransmitter systems discovered in recent years." (p.143)

My first thought was that this was one of those times where geeky scientists had decided to give a newly discovered type of particle a funny name (ie. 'the sexy'), but what came up in Google when I typed in 'sexy' was absolutely shocking and had very little to do with neurotransmitters, let me tell you.

My second thought was that either Chris McManus, or the people who study neurotransmitters, or both, need to get out more.

My third thought was that I should write about this in my blog.

My fourth thought was to wonder exactly what the "in recent years" part of the quote meant. Does that mean that far sexier neurotransmitter systems were discovered in the 50s? Or merely that the other recently discovered neurotransmitter systems have been a bit frumpy?

My fifth thought was: "I wonder how long it'll be before I see a D-serine-regulated neurotransmitter system on the cover of Maxim."

And honestly, that was about when I stopped thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home