January 04, 2005

Happy Effing New Year

So, I know I keep promising that I'll be back up to regular posting speed very soon. And the last time I said it, I really meant it, too. But instead, what happened was that my laptop decided to have a nervous breakdown, and I've spent the last couple of days transferring files to my trusty old MacClamshell so that my newer laptop can get sent away to Betty Ford for computers.

This means I've really not been able to do much blogging, nor will I be able to do as much as normal over the next little while. Which is just as well, really, because the only thing in the news right now is the tsunami disaster in Asia and I don't think I would feel right making jokes about that (though, if any other bloggers are reading and want a good post title: 'Water-Blogged'. Am I right, folks?)

Also, did you know that the FCC stipulates that the word 'fuck' should never, ever be broadcast on radio or television anywhere in the United States? You know what this means, people: it's up to us and the Goddamn fucking internet to teach profanity to the little bastard children of today. Go forth and cuss!

Finally, a finding from a telephone survey about blogging conducted at the end of last year:

"Blog creators were likely to be young, well-educated, net-savvy males with good incomes and college educations, the survey found."

Poppycock. (I also like how they distinguish "well-educated" from having a college education.)

3 Comments:

At 5/1/05 18:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure how else to reply to your comments to me re: the 1000 pound man story so I am replying to this entry. I am the anonymous commenter that asked you if you had a PHD in genetics. I didn't mean it as an insult or a challenge. Maybe it came across that way, but I did not intend it to. Still, your response puzzled me. Do you really expect that no one will respond to your comments when you place them on a public forum? You are right, you are a complete stranger to me, but I can tell from your response to me that you are a person who figuratively (and literally) shuts down the conversation once someone challenges his opinion. If you post your comments simply for the amusement of your friends, that's a different story. But it seems to me that if you don't want others commenting on your view, don't express them in a public forum. And I don't think I need a PHD in writing blog comments to say that... but I could be wrong.

 
At 5/1/05 21:31, Blogger Andrew said...

"I am the anonymous commenter that asked you if you had a PHD in genetics. I didn't mean it as an insult or a challenge." Okay. How did you mean it?

"I can tell from your response to me that you are a person who figuratively (and literally) shuts down the conversation once someone challenges his opinion." I'm sorry, did you not notice the twenty or so other comments (made over a period of three and a half months) on that post? Many of them, I might add, really did challenge my opinion in a very effective way, and I responded by clarifying and amending as necessary. I did not, as you say, 'shut down' the conversation then, and the only reason I've done so now is because the comments that I continue to get do not tackle the issue in a way that is relevant or interesting. They just rehash the same pithy criticisms that I have addressed ad nauseam throughout.

"it seems to me that if you don't want others commenting on your view, don't express them in a public forum." A fair point, and one that I have found myself more wary of since this whole fiasco began last year. Then again, it wasn't the comments on my views that bothered me, it was the personal attacks and/or pseudo-scientific babble masquerading as a legitimate point, eg.:

"Can someone's genes make them predisposed to gaining weight quickly while not being satiated? Probably - that doesn't sound like the strangest disorder I've ever heard of."

"There very well might be a genetic disorder that leads to overeating."
(See my response to such comments here: http://hotscot.blogspot.com/2004/08/big-fat-man-has-big-fat-heart.html#109525773281374262.)

My God, have I really wasted this much time? I have to read.

 
At 5/1/05 23:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you keep feeding them, they will keep coming back.
Stretch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home