December 15, 2005

Lock Up Your Daughters

A propos of my recent mention of The Unfinished Revolution, I thought I would share with you what I found to be one of the funniest passages I've read in an academic book in a long time.

The author is discussing the radical wing of the gay rights movement in Britain in the 1970s:

"The London [Gay Liberation Front] went so far as to design buttons which proclaimed 'Gay Power', 'Avenge Oscar Wilde', 'Lesbians Ignite', and 'How Dare You Presume That I Am A Heterosexual'."

Okay, 'Gay Power' is fair enough, and even 'Avenge Oscar Wilde' is understandable, I suppose, in a British context (though it is a pretty surreal call to arms). But 'Lesbians Ignite'?! What the hell? That doesn't sound very progressive at all!

My favourite, though, is the last, if only because it is the most quintessentially British protest slogan I have ever heard, and it makes me so happy that people actually wore buttons that said that, and thought they were being radical. "Oh, uh, yes, well, do you think you might, er, you know, if it's not too much trouble, put ever so slightly more thought into, ah, the way you treat, well, homosexuals, possibly?" It's like Martin Luther King Jr meets Martin Clunes.

--

On Wednesday afternoon, Alison and I mutually and very amicably decided to end our relationship. I don't want to say any more than that about the actual details. It feels very, very strange, suffice to say, to suddenly be single after four and a half years, and I'm aching a little at the things I know I've lost. But things change, and nobody can help that, and deep down, I know that everything will be okay. Which sounds a little trite, yes, but after this long how could I feel any other way?

Now, can anybody tell me what's changed in the dating game since I was seventeen? Are girls still impressed when you can buy booze without being asked for ID? (Were they ever?) Does a movie and a lift home from your parents still count as a good date? IS NIRVANA STILL COOL?!?!?!?!

Lesbians, Ignite!