March 09, 2006

Self Indulgence Through Song

Well, folks, I have been damn good about not using my blog as a place to vent the emotional farrago going on in my head since my break-up. So today you're going to have to deal with a little bit of shameless introspection. Sorry.

I was in TravelCuts the other day renewing my ISIC card, and there was a couple in there, first-years, planning a trip together. They had this beautiful eagerness in their eyes, that I recognised, kind of, like finding something you wrote as a child. It made me feel oddly better.

What has really struck me about the whole experience is the way familiar things, things you've seen and heard for months (years, even) without thought, suddenly jump out at you as if brand new. Song lyrics, especially. There are two that have really been stuck in my head for weeks, and I suspect that they will give you a pretty good idea of my current state of mind.

"The saddest part of a broken heart,
Isn't the ending, so much as the start."


"We all make mistakes and then
Life is the art of
Learning to live with it
Through time."


Oh, God, I'm such a teenager. Sigh.

2 Comments:

At 10/3/06 10:08, Anonymous Mariana said...

I don't think teenagers are that introspective; just angsty and melodramatic. Maybe things are different in Scotland.

I am not quite over the part where happy couples make me look away quickly and feel bitter.

That second verse is from Roisin Murphy's song, yes? That song is pretty but it makes me sad.

 
At 10/3/06 10:25, Blogger Andrew said...

I dunno, I feel like I was being pretty angsty and melodramatic. Maybe that's just because I know I was thinking about Avril lyrics, too.

Don't hate happy couples. Be glad you know how they feel-- not everybody does.

And, yes, Roisin Murphy, and, yes, pretty but sad. What an album though, eh? I'm glad somebody listened to my recommendation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home